Damilola Olakanmi, 23, was rushed to hospital where she sadly died after eating a single 'Trrlli Peachie O', with shocked neighbours saying they initially thought a chemical leak was to blame Law student had ordered the "Trrlli Peachie O" branded product via a cellphone messaging app.
Student who died after eating ‘cannabis gummy’ heard wailing in pain by neighbours
A law student who died after eating just one suspected cannabis gummy was heard “wailing” in pain moments after eating the sweet, shocked neighbours said.
Damilola Olakanmi, 23, bought the ‘gummies’ through a messaging app and they were delivered to her home in Ilford, east London, where she fell ill last Tuesday (March 29).
She was rushed by air ambulance to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, at around 11.30pm, but died four days later on April 2.
A 21-year-old friend who was visiting from the US was also taken ill after having just one of the sweets police suspect was laced with cannabis. She has now been discharged from hospital.
Police launched an investigation, with fears a dangerous batch of the psychoactive drug branded as “Trrlli Peachie O’s” could be circulating.
Several aghast residents feared there had been a chemical leak after seeing the woman surrounded by paramedics in hazmat suits.
One man, who lived nearby but wished to remain anonymous, said: “At around midnight, I heard a girl wailing and saw her surrounded by emergency services in hazmat suits.
“We were led to believe that it was a chemical leak. It’s very sad she lost her life.”
Leon Brown, 37, of South Norwood, south London, was arrested on Friday and charged with possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, supplying a synthetic cannabinoid and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.
At Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Monday, he appeared in the dock where he was remanded in custody to appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court next month.
Another neighbour added: “I saw the girl being taken into an ambulance at midnight.
“The community only found out the cause of death in recent days.”
One woman who lived in the same street described her as a very “nice” and “pleasant” girl.
She said she was very shocked and saddened to hear the news, adding: “They [Damilola and her mother] were just new in the area, I heard the ambulances at around midnight and was very sad to find out who it was.”
A family nearby said that they only heard the news of her passing on Monday through word of mouth.
The woman said: “We saw an ambulance and fire brigade but were unsure of the cause until now.”
A special post-mortem examination is due to take place to ascertain the exact cause of death.
Police are also carrying out tests on sweets which were found at the scene, which had “Trrlli Peachie O’s” branding.
Detectives are urgently trying to identify any other cases where Londoners have become seriously unwell after eating cannabis sweets, gummies or similar products.
Scotland Yard said officers are aware of one potentially linked case, in which a woman was taken ill at the start of last month after eating a cannabis sweet in Tower Hamlets, east London.
She was taken to hospital and later discharged, the Met Police said.
Enquiries are ongoing to establish whether this sweet was part of the batch of sweets associated with the Ilford death.
Ch Supt Stuart Bell, who polices Redbridge borough, said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis sweets.
“Please do not buy or consume these products.
“They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption.
“The particular batch of sweets were contained in packaging featuring ‘Trrlli Peachie O’s’ branding.
“It has not been confirmed at this stage where the sweets were manufactured.
“Drug dealers harm communities and risk the safety of individuals.
“We will take positive action to target those engaged in this activity as well as those found in possession of these substances.”
Woman Dies After Eating Synthetic Cannabinoid Gummies She Ordered Online
A law student died after eating synthetic cannabinoid candies she had delivered to her home, police believe.
British woman Damilola Grace Olakanmi, 23, and her 21-year-old American friend both fell ill after each consuming just one of the ‘gummy’ candies at Olakanmi’s house in Ilford, London.
The pair ate the gummies at around 11:30 p.m. on April 29, and both were hospitalized, with an air ambulance flying Olakanmi to a hospital in nearby Romford, Essex.
Two women were hospitalized in London when they fell ill after eating synthetic cannabinoid candy, with one of the pair later dying. Pictured: An ambulance at an accident and emergency department at a hospital in Bradford, U.K. Getty Images
London’s Metropolitan Police said they are investigating whether the death may be linked to another case in March, which saw a woman rushed to hospital after eating a similar product in the London borough of Tower Hamlets.
Detectives are seeking to discover whether the two incidents were caused by the same batch of candy.
Olakanmi had bought the “Trrlli Peachie O” branded candy through a cellphone messaging app and they were later delivered to her home. Her American friend, a student visiting the UK, has now been discharged from the hospital.
Olakanmi’s mother Wumi Olakanmi reportedly kept a vigil by her daughter’s bedside until her death on Saturday.
One of the family’s relatives, Richard Taylor spoke to the Evening Standard and said: “Wumi has lost her only child—she has nothing now.
“They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support.
“It’s a tragic warning to all young people about how they live their lives. They should resist drugs.
“Damilola was a promising young woman who should be looking forward to her future and having children of her own. She was studying law.”
Another relative, named only as Dunni, added Olakanmi was “very kind and loved looking after children and wanted to please everyone.”
Officers have warned against eating drug-laced candy and said a number of gummies have been recovered and are being tested.
Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell, of the Met’s East Area Basic Command Unit, said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis candies.
- Marijuana Decriminalization Bill Passes House, Heads to Senate
- Marijuana Sales Drop Drastically as U.S. Eases Back Pandemic Rules
- Drugs Found in Late Foo Fighters Drummer Taylor Hawkins’ Body Explained
“Please do not buy or consume these products. They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption.
“The particular batch of [candies] were contained in packaging featuring Trrlli Peachie O’s branding. It has not been confirmed at this stage where the [candies] were manufactured.
“Drug dealers harm communities and risk the safety of individuals. We will take positive action to target those engaged in this activity as well as those found in possession of these substances.”
Police arrested a man on Friday in connection with the incident. They said he had a large quantity of cash on him and what were believed to be edible cannabis products. He was later charged with a number of suspected offenses, including possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid, and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.
A post-mortem examination will be arranged in order to confirm Olakanmi’s cause of death, the Met said.
Correction, 4/6/22, 8:00 a.m. ET: This article has been updated to indicate that the items consumed contained synthetic cannabinoids, and not “marijuana.”