If you're a cannabis enthusiast, you may have wondered if you can make your own vape juice with THC. The answer is yes—and there are several ways to do it. When you make your own e-liquid, you get to control what ingredients go into it, as… CBD vape juice, sometimes called CBD e-liquid, is a hemp-based cannabinoid product. It is different from CBD oil in the aspect that CBD juice is specially designed for vaping. CBD vape juice usually contains thinning agents – propylene glycol or vegetable glycerine – to make CBD appropriate for vaping. It is a benefici The global vaping industry is taking the world by storm, rapidly expanding across the globe. In just a few years, CBD vape juices and e-liquids have become dominant products on the market. It seems that people simply adore vaping CBD for the most obvious reasons. It’s fast-acting, discreet, delicious, doesn’t get you
How to Make Cannabis Oil for Vape Pens
This article was co-authored by Jamie Corroon, ND, MPH and by wikiHow staff writer, Megaera Lorenz, PhD. Dr. Jamie Corroon, ND, MPH is the founder and Medical Director of the Center for Medical Cannabis Education. Dr. Corroon is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor and clinical researcher. In addition to clinical practice, Dr. Corroon advises dietary supplement and cannabis companies regarding science, regulation, and product development. He is well published in the peer-review literature, with recent publications that investigate the clinical and public health implications of the broadening acceptance of cannabis in society. He earned a Masters in Public Health (MPH) in Epidemiology from San Diego State University. He also earned a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine degree from Bastyr University, subsequently completed two years of residency at the Bastyr Center for Natural Health, and is a former adjunct professor at Bastyr University California.
There are 47 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
This article has been viewed 82,217 times.
If you’re a cannabis enthusiast, you may have wondered if you can make your own vape juice with THC. The answer is yes—and there are several ways to do it. When you make your own e-liquid, you get to control what ingredients go into it, as well as how strong your vape oil turns out. In this article, we’ll talk you through some of the main ways to craft your own cannabis oil for vape pens, starting with the quickest methods and then moving to the more complex and time-consuming techniques.
Adults only (18+)
This website contains adult material and is only suitable for those 18 years or older. Click Enter only if you are at least 18 years of age.
FREE SHIPPING ON ALL PURCHASES OVER $25
- Dry Herb Vaping Guide
5 Simple Steps To Make Your Own CBD Vape Juice At Home Using CBD Isolate
CBD vape juice, sometimes called CBD e-liquid, is a hemp-based cannabinoid product. It is different from CBD oil in the aspect that CBD juice is specially designed for vaping.
CBD vape juice usually contains thinning agents – propylene glycol or vegetable glycerine – to make CBD appropriate for vaping. It is a beneficial way to consume CBD.
CBD vape juice also differs from the traditional e-liquid. In CBD vape juice, instead of nicotine, manufacturers add CBD extract.
Unlike traditional smoking methods, CBD products have significant health benefits . For these reasons, vape and other electronic devices are getting increasingly popular, especially among beginners. You can even find e liquid clearance sales online and easily find your favorite branded vape box mods and starter kits.
Why should you try making CBD e-liquid at home?
Due to the benefits and popularity of CBD-based products, they are quite expensive. The average cost of a 30ml CBD vape juice container is around $30-$50 .
Making CBD e-liquid at home gives you more control over your vaping experience. You also get to pick the flavor and sweetness of your choice.
Another advantage of making CBD juice at home is that you understand what exactly your CBD vape juice contains.
Main ingredients required to make CBD juice at home
To make a nicotine-free CBD juice, you will need a few ingredients.
1. Vegetable glycerine (VG): is a sweet and odorless liquid extracted by heating plant oils under pressure. VG adds sweetness and a cloud of thick smoke to the vaporizers. For this reason, it is one of the main ingredients.
2. Propylene glycol (PG): is similar to VG, but it holds the flavor much longer and gives a better throat hit (a sensation similar to smoking).
As the only carrier in your vape juice, PG might be harsh for most vape users.
For this reason, PG and VG are often mixed to get the best out of them. Although a 60PG:40VG ratio is ideal since it produces a sweet taste and much more vapor, many prefer a 50-50 mixture of PG and VG.
3. MCT Oil (optional): medium-chain triglyceride, better known as MCT, are fats obtained from coconut or palm kernel oil. Many manufacturers often use MCT oil made from coconut as an alternative to VG and PG. MCT oil is odorless and flavorless and produces big clouds.
4. Terpenes are natural aromas or flavors that many vape juice manufacturers use to give the best possible experience. They are more potent and should be used in the right amount.
CBD isolate resembles a fine white powder. It contains 99% CBD and is considered the purest form.
- A 30 ml airtight glass bottle
- A filling syringe.
- A digital scale
- Vaping devices
How to make CBD vape juice in 5 simple steps
The steps mentioned here are for PG (mixed with 3ml flavor) and VG in a 60:40 ratio. You can vary the proportion as per your taste.
Note: Before we proceed further, we suggest you should not stress or worry about the precision of the ingredients. Adding or subtracting an extra millimeter wouldn’t make much of a difference.
1. Measure 15ml PG using the syringe and pour it into the empty 30ml container.
2. Use the digital scale to weigh out 500mg (0.5g) CBD isolate. Add this powder to the glass bottle.
3. Shake this mixture vigorously for a minute or two to ensure the CBD isolate powder is completely dissolved. If you still find some solid crystals/powder in the mixture, proceed with step 4. Skip the next step if the mixture is already transparent.
4. Dip the airtight glass bottle containing the mixture in warm water and leave it for 10 minutes. This step makes sure the ingredients inside the bottle melt completely.
5. Use the syringe again and carefully measure 12ml VG. Add this to the solution. Also, add 3ml of flavor/terpene of your choice. Alternatively, you can purchase pre-flavored vape liquids instead of terpenes. Let these ingredients settle. After a few minutes, shake this solution one final time for 2 minutes.
Your vape juice is now ready to go inside your vape tank. Store the rest of the juice in a cold and dark place.
How long can you store your homemade vape juice?
CBD juice lasts for a year or two and sometimes even more if stored properly. Since heat, light, and air shorten the life of your CBD vape juice, store the juice in an airtight tinted bottle away from light and heat.
Making your own CBD vape juice is easy and takes only 15-20 minutes. The majority of vape users try this at home as it gives them more control over their vape juice. Always use quality ingredients to maximize your inhaling experience.
How to Make Your Own CBD Vape Juice
The global vaping industry is taking the world by storm, rapidly expanding across the globe. In just a few years, CBD vape juices and e-liquids have become dominant products on the market. It seems that people simply adore vaping CBD for the most obvious reasons.
It’s fast-acting, discreet, delicious, doesn’t get you high, and offers a range of potential health benefits. According to CBD oil experts, Ministry of Hemp , the thing with CBD oil for vaping is that the oil goes straight into your bloodstream, allowing you to feel the effect almost immediately.
However, this increasing popularity made CBD vape juice quite expensive. Fortunately, you can save some cash on the side by learning how to make your own CBD vape juice, so let’s get down to it right away.
PG and VG: Finding Your Ratio
The journey to making your own CBD vape e-juice of the highest quality starts with finding the proper PG/VG ratio for your taste. Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are two main compounds found in every e-liquid.
These are the most popular and top-rated carrier oils you need for your CBD juice. There are some differences between the two; PG offers a higher liquid-like consistency, while higher VG percentages make for a smoother vaping experience.
Since you need the CBD-isolate to complete your vape juice, you can’t use VG only as it won’t dissolve the isolate. Therefore, you’ll need a higher ratio of PG for your CBD vape juice to ensure the isolate gets properly dissolved within your e-liquid. Aim for 70/30 PG to VG for the best solution.
The Necessary Ingredients for Making CBD Vape Juice
Now, since you have your PG/VG ratio under control, let’s see what equipment you need to start making your own vape juice. The good thing is that you can find most of the necessary items at a local supermarket or online. Here are the essentials:
- Gram scale
- Clean syringe
- Fine mesh strainer
- Mortar and pestle
- A pot of a medium size
- Small container
- Glass bottle
- A dropper
Basic Steps for Making Your Own CBD Vape Juice
Here are some basic steps for making your CBD vape. Note that this recipe is made for 0.5g of CBD isolate. You can tweak it as you become more experienced, but we recommend that you start small and slow and work your way up. Here are the steps:
- Put your CBD isolate crystals on the gram scale and measure 0.5g;
- Use a mortar and pestle to grind your CBD isolate until you achieve a fine powder consistency;
- Measure somewhere around 0.5-1 ml of terpenes and mix it with your 70/30 PG/VG ratio to get around 30 ml of total vape juice;
- Take a small mixing container and place your vape juice into it;
- Mix your solution with ground CBD isolate powder;
- Secure the lid of the container;
- If you have a vortex mixer use it to properly even out the mix or give your mixture a few shakes by hand;
- At this point, you should have a pot with heated water where you will submerge your mixing container;
- Keep the temperature on medium-high heat;
- Turn the heat to low at the boiling point and put your container in the pot;
- Remove the container after about five minutes;
- Give it another shake;
- If you still can see CBD crystals, repeat the previous two steps;
- If you can’t see the crystals, allow your vape juice to cool for at least half an hour;
- Once cooled, take a glass bottle and use a fine-mesh strainer to filter through your vape juice.
Friendly advice: Please, do not microwave your CBD vape juice under any circumstances. It won’t do you any good, and it will only destroy the precious ingredients.
Terpenes You Should Use
Terpenes are in charge of the flavor of your vape juice. So, before you can choose the right terpenes, you need to decide on the flavor you want in your vaping session. Since terpenes are a bit of a complex subject, we have a few recommendations for you:
- Top terpenes for daytime – beta-caryophyllene (smoky, black pepper, spicy), humulene (floral, citrusy, hops), alpha-pinene (fresh, earthy, pine), limonene (lemon, sweet, citrusy, tart);
- Top terpenes for nighttime – myrcene (fruity, musky, mango), linalool (herby, floral, lavender), menthol (icy, refreshing, minty), terpinolene (floral, apples, sweet).
Optimal Shelf-Life Tip
If you want to achieve the best optimal shelf-life for your CBD e-juice, make sure you store it in a dark and cool place. If it’s sealed tight in a dark glass bottle, it could last up to 12 months before it starts losing its potency.
With all these useful tips, you should be making your DIY CBD vape juice without any problems in no time. Always use the best, highest quality ingredients to make sure you stay healthy. Now, the only thing left for you to do is to buy a decent vape pen to vape your CBD juice like a real professional.
The first step is to make sure you have all the necessary items. They are: -CBD oil -A vape pen cartridge with a mouthpiece and battery -Liquefied glycerin or propylene glycol (PG) -A dropper bottle for mixing the ingredients together -Distilled water, if using PG as an ingredient -Vegetable glycerin, if using VG as an ingredient The second step is to measure
My local vape store owner told me that Terpenes are not necessary, and instead I can add 10ml PG based Aroma to 100ml CBD solution. Is this right?